COST SAVING TIPS
COST SAVING TIPS
10 Minute Pre-Trip Checkup Can Pay Off
A properly maintained vehicle is safer and more dependable and will even save a few dollars at the gas pumps. Motorists should plan ahead to allow time to perform necessary maintenance themselves or at the local service facility.
Car Care Council offers three suggestions for a traveler's 10-minute pre- trip checklist:
- Check all fluids - There are several fluids that require attention: Engine Oil, power steering, brake and transmission fluids, and windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
- Check all hoses and belts - A belt failure can affect the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering, and the cooling system. Cooling system hoses may be deteriorating from within, so old hoses and clamps in marginal condition might need to be replaced.
- Check the tires - Check tire inflation and inspect the tread for uneven wear, indicating the need for wheel alignment. Also look for bulges and bald spots.
Follow these tips to maximize fuel efficiency of your vehicle:
- Vehicle gas caps - about 17% of the vehicles on the roads have gas caps that are either damaged, loose or missing altogether, causing 147 million gallons of gas to vaporize every year.
- Under inflated tires - when tires aren't inflated properly it's like driving with a parking brake on. It can cost a mile or two per gallon.
- Worn spark plugs - A vehicle can have either four, six or eight spark plugs, which fire as many as 3 million times every 1,000 miles, resulting in electrical and chemical erosion from heat.
- Dirty air filters - A clogged air filter creates a "rich" mixture - the proportion of gas to air is incorrect. This wastes fuel and causes the engine to lose power. Replacing a clogged air filter can improve gas mileage by as much as 10%.
- Don't drive aggresively - Aggressive driving can lower gas mileage by as much as 33% on the highway and 5% on city streets.
- Avoid excessive idling - sitting idle gets zero miles per gallon. Letting the vehicle warm up for one to two minutes is sufficient.
- Drive the speed limit - Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Each mile driven over 60 results in an additional 10 cents per gallon. Increase fuel efficiency by using cruise control.
Exceptional! My son was in Lansing, MI on June 22, 2015 for a concert at the Loft with friends. Having auto issues so far away from home, Traverse City, MI. I was very concerned and lost trying to help my son get his car cared for and running again. I had hopped onto the maps of Lansing, MI and verified where my son was with his broken down car, and noticed Ryan's Car and Auto Care on the map close to my son's location. So I called Ryan's Auto service station and explained the situation, Ryan was very helpful referring me to 2 other service stations who may be able to help me in this situation. This first place I called was able to refer me to their towing service and get my son's car in, and serviced within the day,and the charges $$$ were very acceptable, considering the distance from Traverse City, MI and Lansing, Michigan. THANK YOU SO MUCH Ryan for your awesome help with this issue.
Ryans took care of my 2004 dodge stratus SXT coupe named Emma Frost at a very reasonable price and I always got her back quickly. I just had my newer (2000 jeep grand Cherokee named Crimson Dynamo) checked out there too and again, quick and reasonably priced. These dudes do some good work and deserved the praise they receive.
I've been blown away by how great the service is at Ryan's. Everyone has always been super accommodating to how car-illiterate I am, and unlike so many other shops, never take advantage of this. The online car evaluation that they provide you is a huge perk as well